Oct 22, 2009

I'm not sure what's worse, the waiting or the waiting room.

So the early start this morning wasn't as bad as I thought, as I was awake for what seemed to be all night, just laying in bed, so by the time Dad came in to wake me up at half past five, I was still completely awake. I was puzzled to whether I had slept or not, as I remember checking the time every half an hour or so, yet I did not feel the slightest bit drowsy.
By six thirty, we were in a cab and on the way to see 'the nose doctor' starving as I had been told not to eat or drink before going, as I was to be put under with a general anesthetic (I guess the theory is the same as binge drinking).
Upon arrival we sat in waiting room, waiting for the receptionist to open up. She soon arrived, gave me some forms to fill out, then told me I'd be seeing Dr Chris Brown shortly. Instantaneously I imagined a doctor beating his girlfriend... ANYWAY Time moved along, and everyone knows doctors' appointments never run to schedule. He greeted my father and I and led us into an office with two rooms privately attached; one with a doctors bed-thingy, and the other with dentist's chair. The first thing I saw when I sat on in his office was a tray with atleast one hundred different stainless steel objects, I tried to figure out what each one was used for, but by then he had all ready started sticking them up my nose; into my ears; and depressing them onto my tongue, finishing up with spraying some liquid up my nose. He then asked me if I had a photo of my nose previous to the accident, and the only one I had on me was my old school ID (such a terrible photo, but I'm not really photogenic anyway). He then came to the conclusion that my nose didn't look like it did before, and therefore is broken (what's that? EXACTLY what the previous doctor told me on Monday?).
He then led me through the room with the bed, and into the room with the chair, and gave it a pat. I then found out what my nose looked like from the inside. I wanted to change the channel, but this TV only had the "discovery of alexis's nose" channel. Next Chris told me I had to get it fixed up, and I would have to go to the eye and ear hospital to get that done, as he would be busy operating today. One hour and two hundred and sixty dollars later, I was sharing my details with the receptionist at the eye and eye hospital, who then sent me to wait for a nurse. The nurse then looked at my nose, told me it was broken, then sent me back to the waiting room to wait for a doctor. This doctor didn't have as many tools, but looked up my nose just as much. She then told me I had "a lot of green mucus up my nose" and wrote me a prescription for antibiotics and nasal spray. She then sent me back to the receptionist, who sent me to the surgical ward down the road. Within a minute of this waiting room, this funny short lady came out and asked me if I had asthma, diabetes, blood clotting problems or if I was pregnant. The three pages of her questionnaire had started to make me drowsy. She then informed me that I needed to have my nose fixed within the next week. (At this rate I thought it would take til next year). I then got informed that I was placed on a waiting list for the two minute procedure, and I would be called when ready for surgery... "It may be later today, but it will possibly be next week."
Over three hundred and fifty dollars in expenses on this nose so far, and no one has done more than spray salt water in it.

Q:How many doctors does it take to fix a broken nose?
A: Five and counting...

No comments:

Post a Comment